Written by Registered Dietitian, Bridget
Packing a lunch can be a challenge. You may have had some of these thoughts about it:
- What types of meals will keep me full?
- What foods will keep until noon?
- I can’t bring a microwaveable meal, so leftovers won't work.
- Sandwiches get too soggy!
- I only have 10 minutes to eat!
MANY people face the same “What will I eat for lunch?” challenge every fall season, so I wanted to share some of my top lunch ideas and tips for creating a satisfying lunch that you will enjoy and can stay consistent with!
Having a lunch that keeps you feeling satisfied will give you the energy you need to take on your afternoon and help reduce nasty cravings that hit around 3pm.
Lunch box check list!
Protein is the most satisfying macronutrient. It also helps to reduce cravings!
Examples: chicken, turkey, boiled eggs, tuna, chickpeas, greek yogurt, seitan, beans
Carbohydrates are our body and our brain's main energy source! Without a carb, you may feel sluggish in the afternoon. Save yourself from the sluggishness and eat a carb with your lunch! High fibre carbs are even better!
Examples: Whole Grain bread, rice, pasta, crackers, quinoa
Fat sources add flavor to meals, and we want lunchtime to be enjoyable! Fats also help to turn off hunger hormones, keeping you from feeling hungry soon after eating.
Examples: Peanut butter, avocado, dressing, nuts/seeds, cheese
Add fruits or veggies to your lunch meal to ensure you're getting those vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies are also a way to add extra fibre, which is great for a healthy digestive system.
Examples: Carrots, cucumber, peppers, spinach, banana, apple, orange, clementine, berries.
A SWEET TREAT
This is optional but highly suggested! 🙂 Adding a small sweet treat to your lunch may help you feel emotionally satisfied.
Try adding a snak. bite or PB cup!
Here are some of my favorite lunch ideas
The snack box
Perfect for: eating lunch at a desk, no microwave access, may be eating lunch with interruptions
I like to call this “ healthy charcuterie”! There are TONS of ways to add variety to this one.
To your box add:
- Grains: Crackers, pretzels, pita, tortilla chips, mini pitas
- Protein: Boiled eggs, sausage rounds, deli meats, greek yogurt
- Chopped fruit
- Chopped veggies
- Hummus, guacamole, taszkaki, salsa
- snak. bites!
Perfect for: No microwave access, eating at a desk
Packing the sandwich “parts” and assembling at work will prevent it from getting soggy!
In your tupperware, pack:
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 4oz whole chicken, or vegan "chicken" sliced
- Slices veggies (cucumber, tomato)
- Slice cheese
- snak. PB cup (not to add to the sandwich but for a sweet side!)
Enjoy a fresh sandwich at work!
Meal - Prepped - All - Week; Turkey Hash
Perfect for: Microwave access, able to eat with fork
This recipe is great if you like preparing your meal for the week. Grab and go in the AM!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lbs ground turkey (or veggie grounds for vegan option)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1½ cup sweet potato, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and garlic. Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes. Add onions and yellow peppers and cook until onions are gold brown. Add the sweet potato, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook until they are tender. Stir occasionally. If necessary, add more oil or a little bit of water to cook the sweet potato.
- Add shredded cheese as a topping on each serving!
Makes 4 servings.
Don’t forget a snak Peanut Butter cup for dessert!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date! @snak.bakery
Find Bridget on Instagram @balancexbridget